[Aleph] And boxes (was \parshape and \hangindent)

Javier Bezos jbezos at wanadoo.es
Thu Aug 19 10:59:39 CEST 2004

Hans,

> >Has that been fixed in Aleph? It's important because
> >otherwise some important parts of LaTeX (lists and
> >sections) do not work with Aleph while in Omega more
> >or less work.

> in any case, changing behaviour because some macro package
> otherwise does not work is bad; given proper functionality
> in aleph, it's the macro package that should adopt
> (preferably under user control)

Agreed, but the problem is that boxing text is one of the
essential features of TeX which is used very often in any
format.  If box direction is not automatically synchonized
with the surrounding one it would be a mess.

The idea, I think, is that there must not be a "preferred"
direction, and that any layout should be valid for any
direction (at least if vertical and horizontal writings are
not mixed) with a simple change and without having to
consider every element to see if it is properly placed and
in the correct direction.  If something so simple like the
example I sent fails, there will be many other places where
the code will fail and we, in fact, will loss control on
what's going on.

Javier