[Aleph] Mem - new release

Javier Bezos jbezos at wanadoo.es
Fri Aug 27 15:43:55 CEST 2004

>>  However, synchronyzing properly font ocp's with the
>>  NFSS used in LaTeX is not an easy task.
>
>Can you explain this a little more (I used to use Lambda extensively but I
>don't immediately see what you mean here:->)

Because the way ocp works: first expand anything and when
a primitive not being space/letter/other is found apply the
ocp. This means that fontenc macros are expanded before ocp's
are applied and therefore they become a sort of input method.
In other words, they are being used in a way they were not
intended for. The final conversion from Unicode to the font
encoding is done by an ocp, but one should be aware that
usually LaTeX uses _two_ encodings if properly setup---T1/OT1
for letters and TS1 for symbols. [Unfortunately, many people
don't know this fact and they select T1 withot TS1, thus mixing
two fonts. I think users should not be concerned at all with
encodings, which are not always easy to understand or even
to explain.]

This raises the question of if ocp's are applied at the right
place (which was selected mainly because it was easy to
implement), but that's another story...

Javier