[Aleph] general query

Firmicus at ankabut.net Firmicus at ankabut.net
Thu Nov 18 00:14:40 CET 2004

Hi everyone,

I am new to this list, but I have been a longtime subscriber of the
omega-users list. I dropped out last year for lack of time generally and
also of patience regarding omega development. More than a year later I
realize that some interesting things have happened. First of all: even
though the Omega project is apparently far from being defunct, it does not
seem very active either, at least _publicly_. The homepage in Bretagne has
been reactivated a few weeks ago, but the Australian site has been down for
several months now. Also, the archives of the omega mailing lists
(available on omega.enstb.org) stop in July 2003. Can someone on this list
provide some clues on the current state of affairs? [The latest information
I could gather was the EuroTeX 2004 (Xanthi) paper by Yannis, John and two
of their doctoral students concerning the C++ reimplementation of the Omega
engine. I have also read Yannis' and John's 2003 TUGboat paper on Omega and
OpenType with great interest. The links are
http://omega.enstb.org/yannis/pdf/xanthi2004.pdf and
http://omega.enstb.org/yannis/pdf/kyoto2003-2.pdf]

Now to Aleph. On my win2K laptop fpTeX has binaries of both e-Omega 2.1 RC1
and omega 1.23.2.2. On my Linux machine, teTeX features Omega 1.23.2.1 but
not e-Omega. Now I would like to experiment with the latest release of
Aleph (RC4?? but CTAN has RC2), but I would really prefer precompiled
binaries (either for linux or win32) over a source tarball. Are any
available at this time? If not, is it known when they might possibly be
available (either as standalones or as part of distributions)?

Thanks,

François Charette