[Aleph] general query

Idris Samawi Hamid ishamid at colostate.edu
Thu Nov 18 22:43:30 CET 2004

Hi François,

I think it is safe to say that, for all _practical_ purposes (emphasis on
`practcal'), Aleph (formerly e-omega) is the successor to Omega. It
features a combination of the most recent "stable" version of Omega (1.15)
with eTeX. (Version 1.23 was a complete disaster and I don't advise you to
depend upon it at all.) Its purpose is to provide a solid stable
foundation for actual users who need an immediate practical solution for
multidirections and large font needs under TeX, ConTeXt (where eTeX is
crucial), and LaTeX; and who need it NOW, not at some indefinite point in
the future.

Omega may well come back and replace Aleph someday with a much better
framework; but for those with immediate typesetting needs Aleph is the
engine of choice. I have typeset three issues of a multilingual journal
with Aleph, so I can confirm that Aleph, very minor quirks aside, is
usable for large-scale and very complicated multilingual projects.

Best wishes
Idris

--
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid