[Aleph] ON-topic: unicode editors (was: OTP and verbatim)

Idris Samawi Hamid ishamid at lamar.colostate.edu
Tue Apr 5 16:24:00 CEST 2005

Hi François,

This is really as on-topic as can be, because aleph will certainly need a good
unicode editor eventually...

For Arabic and bidi, nothing beats SC Unipad. The work they have put into
those 2 issues is nothing short of amazing, and I no longer use roman
transcription thanx to its features (especially accent handling).
Unfortunately it is expensive ($199.00), though it is quite usable without
registration (it will stop editing long files after a minutes of startup). And
yes, it does not provide much that we need for TeX (shell, syntax
highlighting, etc). (As for yudit, it's really not very attractive and is no
match for UniPad at all). I gave up on Emacs a long time ago as far as Arabic
is concerned. And jEdit really is no good for Arabic-script. Right now, Unipad
is the only serious contender.

I hope that one of the open source editors (or even WinEdT (world's greatest
TeX shell)) takes a cue from Unipad and implements its features.

Adam and friends are doing excellent work with XeTeX, though aleph has a much
better bidi as far as I can tell. What we eventually need is an integration of
aleph (or its features) into pdfeTeX. The resulting beast;-) will make an
excellent successor to TeX for all of us. Then, e.g., XeTeX will be able to
support packages made with aleph. Oops, I'm dreaming again...

Thnx for this contribution
Idris