[Aleph] please review

Idris Samawi Hamid ishamid at colostate.edu
Fri Jun 1 04:25:02 CEST 2007

Hi Andre,

On Thu, 31 May 2007 10:56:13 -0600, Andries Brouwer
<Andries.Brouwer at cwi.nl> wrote:

> On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 08:30:45AM -0600, Idris Samawi Hamid wrote:
>
>> Were there any issues that Aleph could _not_ solve? that is, what would
>> you have improved? Now is a good time to make a wish list for the coming
>> year...
>
> Two years ago I tried to use Omega / Lambda and Aleph / Lamed
> and gave up because of stability issues. They crashed.

Yes, that has been my experience as well. There are some texmf.cnf tweaks
that help in some cases, though. But see below.

> I think there was also a problem with using OTP and accessing
> font position 0.

Is there a minimal example that illlustrates the problem?

> (My application was some text in English, Hebrew, Arabic and Ethiopic,
> and especially that last part made life difficult.)
>
> Are things better now? Should I try again?

Aleph has now officially joined the luaTeX project:

http://www.luatex.org/roadmap.html

See also the luatex reference manual.

Although many of you know this fact already, I was waiting till the
announcement of the first beta to make an official announcement on the
Aleph list. Some of the stability issues related to aleph have been
identified and fixed in the process of luatex development.

Development has been quiet but feverish the past year (the quiet has been
a major factor in the speed of development, and the developers hope to
keep it that way for some time to come). My advice is to wait till the
first public beta is announced, by the end of Summer most likely.

Till then, let's use the aleph list to collect wish-list items, bugs with
aleph, etc. The developers do read this list so...

Best
Idris

--
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid