[Aleph] please review

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri Jun 1 12:24:22 CEST 2007

Benjamin BAYART wrote:
> Le Thu, May 31, 2007 at 08:25:02PM -0600, Idris Samawi Hamid:
>
>> Till then, let's use the aleph list to collect wish-list items, bugs with
>> aleph, etc. The developers do read this list so...
>>

> As you perhaps know, I'm a long time user of Omega (acheology would
> probably find references back to the real beginnings of Omega, when it
> did not even run on Intel architectures).
>
> My recent concerns about omega/aleph are the OTPs. There is a real
> problem in that point which is not an implementation concern, but a
> design problem. It seems luaTeX (tries to) address the problem and I'm
> quite impatient to have � look at it. Mostly, in my mind, those
> questions are opened:
> - will the translation happen on source (like preprocessor) or on nodes
>   (like paragraph transformer), the main mistake of OTP was to try to do
>   both ?

at each level you can hook in code: input (characters), tokenization,
nodelists at several moments
> - how will that interact with opentype features ?
>   o possible to load a "normal" font, and then add it (via macros?)
>     features like the ones expect in opentype?

indeed
>   o possible to change the features after loading an opentype fond?
>     (like one can change a \fontdimen after loading a font)

under your control (luatex has a generic open type reader, so you can do
anything you want once the font is loaded)
> - there is a dual syntax, one from eTeX for handling high-number
>   registers and another from Omega, with behaviours hard to understand
>   and with different limits, will that be unified (I guess so) ?
>   o a brand new syntax deprecating the two previous ones ?
>   o another kludge to try to have averything backward compatible?
>   o new features enabled and that's all ?

just 256 => 64K or more 9depending on the kind of register)

up to the macro package to deal with it ... rather trivial
> That project sounds like good news. I should go more often to TeX
> meetings, I juste discovered the existance of luaTeX while people
> seems to be informed :)

right -) luatex intermediate stages and progress reports has been
presented at all recen tmeetings; beta will be launched at tug 2007 in
san diego