[dev-context] Re: [NTG-context] Bug in math accents (analyzed)

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Nov 1 16:59:13 CET 2004

Taco has found the reason why \mathaccents may get dislocated in slanted
or italic fonts

> The problem is that your code does not set \skewchar for the \scriptfont
> and \scriptscriptfont of the relevant math families. You need to make sure
> you set all three of \textfont X, \scriptfont X and \scriptscriptfont X.
>
> This requires some minor rewriting of a few macros in font-ini.tex.
> I could do that for you, but my coding style is not even remotely
> similar to yours so I wager you'd rather do it yourself. ;-)

font-ini needs the following patch

\appendtoks
\dosetmathfamily\mrfam\textface\scriptface\scriptscriptface\c!mr\mrfallback
   \dosetmathfamily\mifam\textface\scriptface\scriptscriptface\c!mi\empty
   \dosetmathfamily\syfam\textface\scriptface\scriptscriptface\c!sy\empty
   \dosetmathfamily\exfam\textface\textface  \textface        \c!ex\empty
   \dosetmathfamily\mafam\textface\scriptface\scriptscriptface\c!ma\empty
   \dosetmathfamily\mbfam\textface\scriptface\scriptscriptface\c!mb\empty
   \dosetmathfamily\mcfam\textface\scriptface\scriptscriptface\c!mc\empty
   \dosetmathfamily\nnfam\textface\scriptface\scriptscriptface\c!nn\empty
\to \mathstrategies

\appendtoks
   \dosetskewchar\mifam\defaultskewcharmi % implemented later on
   \dosetskewchar\syfam\defaultskewcharsy % implemented later on
\to \mathstrategies

\def\dosetskewchar#1#2%
   {\ifx\@@fontskewchar\empty
      \skewchar\textfont        #1#2%