[dev-context] Re: symb-uni.tex

Duncan Hothersall dh at capdm.com
Wed Nov 24 17:47:47 CET 2004

> the second one is the fast alternative; i always keep the previous
> versions of implementations for educational purposes; take whatever you
> like most, i can change them afterwards

Right, that makes sense. I'll use the second one.

>> Looking at the second vector definition, it starts at char 159 and so
>> looking down to position 176 there appears to be the correct code -
>> namely \textdegree. This presumably explains why it appears correctly in
>> running text in my sample posted to the ConTeXt list. But why does it
>> not work in the XMLdata section? Is it the case that there is another
>> unicode processing system for data being processed as XML? Is this where
>> the fix is required?
>
> hm, aren't the math chars in another vector then?

Most of them are, but the most commonly used (I guess?) are in 0. Any
idea what might be creating the $^$ output when the textdegree character
is used in XML? Looks like it maybe isn't a unicode problem?

>> \startunicodevector 34
>>     \unknownchar    \or
>>     ... [repeat 41 times] ...
>>     \cup    \or
>> \stopunicodevector
>
> one option is to make a full vector (255 codes) with unknowns and to
> fill then stepwise

Great, understood. I'll get onto this then.

Thanks,

Duncan