[dev-context] Re: modules

Patrick Gundlach patrick at gundla.ch
Fri Mar 25 13:29:00 CET 2005

Hello Taco,

>  > Date: 25 Mar 2005 02:22:49 +0100
>  > From: Patrick Gundlach <patrick at gundla.ch>
> Dude, you need a social life! :-)

a *what*?

> implementing these things, so I am a bit scared to make comments.

I am glad you gave me some comments.
> Still... I'm not sure how you handle versioning at the moment
> (it would be nice if the database/fs could store older versions
> of stuff as well),

OK, versioning should be easy. I'll store archives like
t-layout-2004.12.24.zip (<prefix>-<version>.zip).

> and it makes sense to allow/create downloads of "TDS-ed" zip files
> for easy installation.

There are some design decisions to be made:

a simple module would consist of t-foo.tex and foobar.pdf as a
documentation. This can be stored directly in the tds way. But there
are more complicated modules that have stuff in texmf/.... and also
some scripts/whatever. So I currenty opt for

simple module:

so the user can unzip it on a texmf dir.

complex module:

        texmf/lots of stuff

So it the texmf part can be used for installing the tex stuff. I know
that the other files will probably fit in the tds, but the user might not
be able to find the necessary scripts in texmf/script/...

I also want to be able to share the modules between garden and CTAN.

Thank you for your valuable comments,

ConTeXt wiki: http://contextgarden.net