[dev-context] Wishlist / Tracker

Mon May 30 15:24:57 CEST 2005

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> > > It would be nice to have a gforge environment available for
> > > tracking context changes/wishes/bugs. Even without SVN, the
> > > tracking features can be very helpful.
> >

> > A lot of people seem to be using Trac for this kind of stuff.  It
> > even interfaces with subversion (if that’s the SCM you must use
> > (there are a lot better ones, but I guess subversion is the most
> > windows-friendly at the moment)).
>
> I believe subversion is the most 'cvs-user' friendly system, and it is
> widely supported by lots of software, but perhaps those are not the
> best arguments. Can you give me a pointer to something better?

Yes, that is true, but as you say, this may not be the best arguments.
There’s darcs (www.darcs.net), git (http://www.kernel.org/git/), and GNU
Arch (gnuarch.org) (and the Bazaar project (bazaar.canonical.com)).  My
current preference is Arch, but git looks promising _if they get their
act together_.  Darcs is very simple to use and very powerful.  The
downside is that it is written in Haskell, so it requires non-standard
tools to compile.  I do, however, believe that it has been ported to
windows.  Arch and git have less than usable support for windows at the
moment, as far as I know.

I’d suggest looking into all the current alternatives to CVS before
deciding on one.  Subversion is considered to be nothing but a
ill-thought-through upgrade to CVS by the people who know what they’re
talking about.

> > More information at http://trac.edgewall.com/trac/,
>
> Trac looks lice, and it is apparently easier to set up than Gforge,
> that's a good thing. On the downside, it uses SQLite, and it seems
> that multiple project support is 'not there yet'.

>From a users’s perspective, GForge is less than optimal.  At least from
my perspective as a user.  It’s trackers are hard to use and hard to
manage (and plain ugly to look at - heck, bugzilla’s even prettier).
I don’t see a problem with SQLite, but I may not be seeing the whole
picture.  Multiple project support would be nice, though,
        nikolai