[dev-context] Wishlist / Tracker

Brooks Moses bmoses at stanford.edu
Mon May 30 22:04:18 CEST 2005

At 05:59 AM 5/30/2005, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>Nikolai Weibull wrote:
>>A lot of people seem to be using Trac for this kind of stuff.  It even
>>interfaces with subversion (if that's the SCM you must use (there are a
>>lot better ones, but I guess subversion is the most windows-friendly at
>>the moment)).
>
>I believe subversion is the most 'cvs-user' friendly system, and it
>is widely supported by lots of software, but perhaps those are not the
>best arguments. Can you give me a pointer to something better?

Personally, I've been using subversion (and the TortoiseSVN Windows
front-end) for about six months for my own projects, and have been very
happy with it.  Part of my joy with it is because it's the first proper
version-control software I've used (well, ok, I tried cvs once, but didn't
get enough out of it to make it worth the bother), but it does work
exceptionally well at doing what I need -- namely, providing a simple
repository that I can use to synchronize working directories between
various computers with a minimum of bother, allowing me to back up things
with nearly zero trouble, and allowing me to occasionally revert things to
previous versions.

As for setting it up: it's got two different options for running a
repository server -- either running it as a standalone server, or
integrating it with Apache as a web service.  The former is dead simple;
install the program, run one command to set up a repository, run another to
start the daemon.  The Apache integration appeared to me to be one of the
things that looked difficult to me but is probably much easier for someone
who knows how to run a web server.

- Brooks