[dev-context] Re: 2005-05-30 texexec

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue May 31 09:24:50 CEST 2005

Patrick Gundlach wrote:
>>>I am used to have --alone leave my format files in place. This doesn't
>>>work here anymore.
>>
>>actually the leaving it in place was a bug there; now we always run
>>alone (i removed fmtutil support); should i provide a switch --local?
>

> that would be nice.
>
> I just tried texmfstart
>
> mktexlsr: Done.
> TeXExec | using tex engine pdfetex
> TeXExec | using tex format path /var/tmp/tetex3/texmf-sysvar/web2c/pdfetex
> /opt/context/current/texmf/scripts/context/ruby/base/tex.rb:239:in `initialize': Permission denied - cont-fmt.tex (Errno::EACCES)
>         from /opt/context/current/texmf/scripts/context/ruby/base/tex.rb:239:in `open'
>         from /opt/context/current/texmf/scripts/context/ruby/base/tex.rb:239:in `openedfile'
>         from /opt/context/current/texmf/scripts/context/ruby/base/tex.rb:548:in `makeuserfile'
>         from /opt/context/current/texmf/scripts/context/ruby/base/tex.rb:406:in `makeformats'
>         from /opt/context/current/texmf/scripts/context/ruby/newtexexec.rb:47:in `make'
>         from /opt/context/current/texmf/scripts/context/ruby/newtexexec.rb:592:in `send'
>         from /opt/context/current/texmf/scripts/context/ruby/newtexexec.rb:592

hey, what does this mean; that the var dir is non writable?

in this tex.rb file, can you replace

     def openedfile(name)
         begin
             f = File.open(name,'w')
         rescue
             report("file '#{File.expand_path(name)}' cannot be opened for writing")
             return nil
         else
             cleanuplater(name) if f
             return f
         end
     end

and see what happens? btw, the cont-fmt file holds format generatation
parameters (also in texexec.pl)

>>>BTW: I can't stop texexec/pdftex with CTRL-C. Would it be rude to ask
>>>to remove $SIG{INT} = "IGNORE"; from texexec?
>>
>>hm, how about newtexexec.rb ? texexec.pl will go away anyway
>

> that would be fine with me. I lived with it for a couple of years, so
> no need to hurry :-)
>
> I am slightly annoyed by the changes in the tex-engines for some time
> now. All those changes in the web2c layer where it looks as if
> backward compatiblity is available but in reality it is not. Currently
> I am losing interest in staying up to date since I am convinced that
> everything will change again in half a year or one year from now, with
> even more magic in all those 1000s of config parameters/files/scripts.

this is one of the reasons for the rewrite, first of all, texmfstart is there to
  take care of downward compatibility issues; next there is texexec cum suis to
hide the dirty stuff; my biggest problem is -and therefore the problems- that i
need to handle the old methods as well

unfortunately the last few years downward compatibility is dropped at the
binarty / tds level, which is in my opinion a bad thing (part can be catched by
a different texsmf.cnf file, e.g. context.cnf)

the fact that you use tetex does not help much since it's meant as a 'install
from scratch and forget about your own stuff' kind of environment.