[dev-context] Re: Dense Encoding - Comments wanted

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Fri Aug 19 16:28:30 CEST 2005

Patrick Gundlach wrote:

> \uppercase{ß} should be SS (or SZ, but the former is preferred). No
> doubt about that. But I am not that much of a TeXnican to say that
> this glyph is necessary in the fontencoding.

It is interesting that \lowercase{SS} is not (always) ß. Anyway,
I think the \SS is a bit of sillyness introduced because EC had
too much german influences ;-)

> BTW: I think that 'space' is used in metapost, when not typesetting
> with btex...etex. So we might want to leave it there or the user
> should use a different encoding. (Relevant? I don't know.)

It is, but metapost will never default to this font without extra
macro programming. (personally I prefer to, and encourage, the use
of AdobeStandardEncoding in metapost labels that do not get passed
through TeX).