[dev-context] Re: [tex-fonts] error in ec encoding

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sun Aug 21 19:12:06 CEST 2005

Adam Lindsay wrote:

>Patrick Gundlach said this at Fri, 19 Aug 2005 16:03:31 +0200:
>

>>[...]
>>

>>>encodings, and of course that raises an entirely different matter. Even
>>>though cork.enc, EC.enc, tex256.enc, etc. are all distinct
>>>_encoding_vectors_, they still seek to implement the same _font_encoding_
>>>as far as TeX is concerned.
>>>

>>What is a _font_encoding_ here?
>>

>Well, from the context, I'd conclude that it's the logical, abstract
>selection of characters that is independent of a given font's specifics.
>I welcome the concept, as it's a powerful one when dealing with modern fonts.
>

>>Sounds like a LaTeX terminology.
>>

>I have no idea where it comes from. Is there a place where this is used/
>defined?

font encoding is usaually used when we talk about what tex is dealing
with, i.e. some input (regime in context) is mapped onto the slots read
in from the tfm file, but no names are involved, just numbers/slots; and
then tex uses that (font) encoding when it  hyphenates; so the
hyphenation patterns should be loaded under a specific font encoding;
btw, it's for this reason that context has a language-encoding
relationship (patterns are loaded multiple times, for different font
encodings) and that i use generic patterns

so, in the end we may will have

- adobe-dense.enc  (will be mostly used in afm2tfm cum suis)
- unicode-dense.enc (for the record)

and this is relatively independent of context (that does not read the
files) but it is important for the map file;