[dev-context] Wiki Text Problems.

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 14:49:37 CEST 2005

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

>> But I suddenly wonder how the wiki will look in IE. IE doesnt support
>> transparent png. I'll try to find and IE somewhere for checking.
>

> Jikes! Big black rectangles instead of the contents of the image!
> I guess reverting to non-transparent is unavoidable now. Unless
> there is a possibility to use .GIF instead of .PNG?
>
> Taco

I'm sorry. It was my request to use pngalpha for figures on background
that is not white (for "the question marks" for example, for math inside
tables with gray background, ...), so if anyone is to blame: please,
blame me!

On white background, the rendered text shouldn't change, so the only
difference would be on darker backgrounds, where fonts probably really
appear too thin because of anti-aliasing.

I didn't notice any weird functionality on IE since I don't use it, but
Taco's observation is true (sad enough).

No, please, no GIFs!!! If it has to be, let's keep opaque PNGs, GIFs are
the very last option. Besides the licence (I don't know anything about
it), the number of colors is limited, they aren't compressed (as PNGs
are) and I would say (althoug I don't claim it and I didn't take time to
check) that transparency is implemented as a "transparent color" rather
than transparent gradient in GIFs.

Shame on Microsoft!

Mojca