[dev-context] Determining the current text style?

Brooks Moses bmoses at stanford.edu
Sun Sep 11 23:48:49 CEST 2005

Hi!

I'd like to write some macros that do different things depending on the
style of the current font.  That is, \mymacro in this example

   \mymacro {\bf \mymacro} {\it \mymacro}

should be able to do something different in each of those three cases.  I
remember seeing a bit of clever code in a recent message that could test
whether or not it was being used in a region of typewriter font and adjust
accordingly; are there similar tests that can be used for \bf, \it, and so
forth?  If so, what are they?  (And how reliable are they?)

(For those who are curious, I'm thinking about this for the
LaTeX-compatiblity code I'm writing.  LaTeX's \itshape command will select
\it in normal font, but \bi in boldface font.  LaTeX handles this by
defining extra flags to keep track of the current style, but I'd like to
avoid doing that if I don't need to.)

Thanks,
- Brooks