[dev-context] texexec and return codes ... bad

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Wed Jan 10 09:46:10 CET 2007

Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Die, 09 Jan 2007, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>>fixed in the beta already, i'll make a new current zip (has to do with
>>changes in pdftex)
>

> One question: I tested the release 2007-01-09 and the xetex bug is gone,
> but the return value of texexec still is 0, even when aleph breaks
> making a cont-en format. Does this mean that the beta version you are
> talking about is *not* the 2007-01-09 release, but the next release?

Hans, the same problem occurs in texsync, and I assume anything that
is started by texmfstart.

I do not know what the proper ruby syntax is for perl's exit(), but
in general, you should return "zero" for success, anything else for
failure (normally programs use simply "one" in all cases).

If you do not call exit() yourself and do not call die() either
(whatever the ruby equivalent of that is), the default return value
is zero == success. That can be an enormous pain in the butt when
texexec etc. are used inside scripts|makefiles.

Best, Taco