[dev-context] engine setting in context/texexec

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Wed Jan 10 12:52:08 CET 2007

Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Mit, 10 Jan 2007, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
>>>in texexec i've removed all traces of pdfetex (the e) so things should
>>
>>This in itself is a bit problematic, I think. It looks to me like this
>>breaks all installs that only have pdftex 1.30 (because that pdftex is
>>not etex).
>

> I assume that this will happen, yes. I can test it in a few hours on my
> home machine if you want to know for sure.
>
> It would be better to check whether we are running < 1.40 or >= 1.40 and
> adjust the setting respectively.

Thanh gave everybody a bit of a headache when he decided to drop
"pdfetex" instead of dropping "pdftex". I do not see any easy way
of distinguishing an upgraded 1.40 from an old 1.30 installation:
spurious "pdfetex" executables are fairly likely even in up-to-date
systems, because of pre-installed TeXs. Often upgrades do not delete
old stuff properly, and there could also be a visible system-wide
tetex or something.

Best,