[dev-context] engine setting in context/texexec

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed Jan 10 17:31:46 CET 2007

On Mit, 10 Jan 2007, Hans Hagen wrote:
> >TeX path searching is a nightmare!
> >
> no, it's more that downward compatibility of tex live, tds and kpse is a
> non-issue (wipe out and install clean policy)
>
> personally i think that linux users can best install debian packages and
> leave tex live for what it is; actually, thinking of it ... since there
> is room enough on the tex collection dvd, we can put the debian packages
> on it (also makes a nice historic snapshot)

No, you get it up side down!

The problem is not with TeX Live, there we can be sure to have pdftex
1.40.1 and don't care for other things, if there other binaries
installed this is the user problem.

The problem is more with Debian, because for now there is texlive 2005
and I have to keep backward compatibility, and upgrade pathes etc etc.

The problem lies with Debian here.

But we can manage this, but for now we have only 1.30.5 and until tl2006
is in Debian it will take a bit...

Best wishes

Norbert

Dr. Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at>                    Università di Siena
CURRY MALLET (n.)
A large wooden or rubber cub which poachers use to despatch cats or
other game which they can only sell to Indian resturants. For
particulary small cats the price obtainable is not worth the cost of
expending ammunition.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff