[dev-context] engine setting in context/texexec

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed Jan 10 18:13:56 CET 2007

Hi Hans!

On Mit, 10 Jan 2007, Hans Hagen wrote:
> >The problem is more with Debian, because for now there is texlive 2005
> >and I have to keep backward compatibility, and upgrade pathes etc etc.
> >
> well, it depends on the startingpoint ... you (debian) want to take care
> of previous situations, while tex live assumes no existing installation

Well, the problem exists WHEN you take the engine path, because
currently in texlive/Debian that would be pdfetex, and in TeX Live
upstream pdftex.

> >But we can manage this, but for now we have only 1.30.5 and until tl2006
> >is in Debian it will take a bit...
> >
> again, you (debian) support the engine subpath while texlive doesn't
> (while its actually a tds/web2c spec)

We don't support it. I only have it working for context based formats.
All other formats go as usual into web2c/.

> i dunno the debian policy with installed fonts and such (there are tex
> users out there with additional (bought) fonts) but that's another area
> where downward compatibility is not guaranteed (the updmap mess)

There is extensive documentation on this contained in the
	tex-common
package: TeX-on-Debian. I myself have quite a lot of commercial fonts
and I do still use the Debian way for local adaptions. The big advantage
here is that even a upgrade of my whole TeX system *still* leaves me
without my commercial fonts, but thery are automatically activated and
included.

Best wishes

Norbert

Dr. Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at>                    Università di Siena