[dev-context] engine setting in context/texexec

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Jan 10 18:07:01 CET 2007

Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Mit, 10 Jan 2007, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>>> TeX path searching is a nightmare!
>>>

>> no, it's more that downward compatibility of tex live, tds and kpse is a
>> non-issue (wipe out and install clean policy)
>>
>> personally i think that linux users can best install debian packages and
>> leave tex live for what it is; actually, thinking of it ... since there
>> is room enough on the tex collection dvd, we can put the debian packages
>> on it (also makes a nice historic snapshot)
>>

> No, you get it up side down!
>
> The problem is not with TeX Live, there we can be sure to have pdftex
> 1.40.1 and don't care for other things, if there other binaries
> installed this is the user problem.
>
> The problem is more with Debian, because for now there is texlive 2005
> and I have to keep backward compatibility, and upgrade pathes etc etc.

well, it depends on the startingpoint ... you (debian) want to take care
of previous situations, while tex live assumes no existing installation
> The problem lies with Debian here.
>
> But we can manage this, but for now we have only 1.30.5 and until tl2006
> is in Debian it will take a bit...

again, you (debian) support the engine subpath while texlive doesn't
(while its actually a tds/web2c spec)

i dunno the debian policy with installed fonts and such (there are tex
users out there with additional (bought) fonts) but that's another area
where downward compatibility is not guaranteed (the updmap mess)