[dev-context] New Debian packages

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Tue Jan 23 23:00:58 CET 2007

Hi Norbert,

Norbert Preining wrote:
> Hi Taco!
>
> On Die, 23 Jan 2007, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
>>Yes, just like the change to pdftex 1.40 in 2007.01.12 was absolute.
>
> I don't agree. I could process several medium complicated test cases I
> have collected over the time with pdfetex 1.30.5 from TL2005 (debian
> packages) with my context packages for 2007.01.12.
>
> The only point was that is was necessary to add the pdfetex -> pdftex
> symlink, otherwise everything worked without problem.
>
> So I *don't see that this was an *absolute* move.

Of course you could add a set of font synonyms to cont-usr.tex
or even create symlinks like from cmsy10.tfm to lmsy10.tfm. But
you know that no 'ordinary' user will know what to do, and such
hacks are probably a bad idea for such users anyway, because it
will come back to haunt them next year or the year after.

>>This is at least in part why TL will run 2007.01.12, and I will no
>>update it any more, as well as why we have a fullblown repository
>>of old releases.
>
> But doesn't TL2007 *inlcude* the lm-math fonts???? Please reconsider
> this!

At this point, I will not touch TL any more, except for urgent
bugfixes. Staszek added the new latin modern at the very last
moment, and I do not want to risk having a completely bodged
system on TeXLive like we have had in some previous years.
In fact, I still cannot quite believe that this release is going
to work out ok.

Perhaps Hans can be convinced to add a backward-compatibily switch
for the normal context releases (>2007.01.23), but that is not
upto me.

Best wishes,