[dev-context] texexec --timeout=NN should return nonzero code on timeout

Sanjoy Mahajan sanjoy at mrao.cam.ac.uk
Mon Feb 5 16:33:34 CET 2007

> If a texexec job runs out of time (--timeout=NN), the exit code should
> be nonzero.  Right now it's zero; which, I just realized, had slightly
> confused the error handling by the regression-testing.
> [snip]
> should do that (in base/tex.rb)

Thanks, I just tested it and it works (exit code is now 1).  So that
change fixes the issue for the future.

It won't solve the issue during regression testing, because the
regression tests use the entire context tree as of a certain date (a
tex version of chroot).  That includes using the ruby scripts from
that version.  That's why I made the run-it.py wrapper despite knowing
that you would fix the texexec return code :-)

I thought about the pros and cons of running the latest texexec using
the old macros, which would mean not needing the run-it.py wrapper.  I
don't think it's worth it.  A document is produced by the whole system
of scripts + ConTeXt macros (+ pdftex, but it cannot so easily be
downgraded/upgraded automatically...).  So we should test the whole
system (i.e. including the old scripts) rather than just the macros.

-Sanjoy

`Not all those who wander are lost.' (J.R.R. Tolkien)