[dev-context] how to \obeyMPlines?

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 19:36:32 CET 2007

Hello,

It took me way too much time to trace the source of the problem, but
now I've finally found it, although I don't know how to solve it. It's
not crytical, but for some longer graphics metapost complains about
too long lines.

Assume the existance of the following file, say, a.tex:

\startMYgraphic[1]
draw fullcircle scaled 3cm;
draw fullcircle scaled 3cm shifted (2cm,0);
\stopMYgraphic

The main file contains:

\def\processMYfile[#1][#2]{%
   \def\startMYgraphic
      {\obeyMPlines % <- problem
       \dosingleargument\dostartMYgraphic}
   \long\def\dostartMYgraphic[##1]##2\stopMYgraphic
      {\startreusableMPgraphic{#1 ##1}##2\stopreusableMPgraphic}
   \readlocfile{#2}{}{}
}

\processMYfile[X][a.tex]
\reuseMPgraphic{X 1}

If I leave the \obeyMPlines there, I get spurious characters (probably
because TeX adds some character codes which correspond to \r or \n).
If I comment out the \obeyMPlines it works OK, but longer graphics
fail.

Thanks a lot,
    Mojca

This is another, only partially related question, and still only of
theoretical nature:
Also, sometimes it fails because of TeX memory limit exceeded. (If
gnuplot wants to draw a 100x100 grid, it needs 10.000 lines of code
times three - one for color, one for shape, one for actually
drawing/filling it, that makes it some 31.000 lines of code, and TeX
cannot handle that. Will there be any possibility for a solution to it
any time in the future except fixing gnuplot itself? It's not that
important, but I would just like to know if that issue is solvable at
all from within TeX or not.)

Otherwise, the speed of gnuplot doesn't cause any problems any more. I
don't know what has changed, but I bet that ConTeXt now works at least
five times faster with graphics than it worked two years ago for plain
text only ;)