[dev-context] minor problem with utf-8 inside \startintertext

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sun Mar 11 23:33:38 CET 2007

Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Mar 2007, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>

>> On Fri, 9 Mar 2007, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have something for (most probably) Hans/Taco/Aditya to resolve:
>>>
>>> \enableregime[utf-8]
>>> \starttext
>>> \startformula\startalign
>>> 	\NC a \NC = b \NR
>>> \startintertext
>>> Še četrta možnost
>>> %
>>> For those with problems with encoding, \ccaron should be enough to
>>> reproduce the bug.
>>> \stopintertext
>>> 	\NC c \NC = d \NR
>>> \stopalign\stopformula
>>> \stoptext
>>>
>> Hmm... strange. Basically, this boils down to
>>
>>  \enableregime[utf-8]
>>  \starttext
>>  \startformula\startalign
>>         \NC a \NC = b \NR
>>   \noalign{\vbox{\noindent \normal %Try with and without normal
>>     Še četrta možnost \par}}
>>   \NC c \NC = d \NR
>>  \stopalign\stopformula
>>  \stoptext
>>
>> So, for the time being add \normal inside \startintertext. I do not
>> understand the cause, so I do not know if normal should be part of the
>> definition of \dointertext, or if there is a bigger problem.
>>

> I noticed that in TeXBook, Knuth does not use \vbox for intertext
> (example on page 193). I changed the definition of \dointertext and
> removed the vbox, and everything works fine.
>
> \unexpanded\def\dointertext#1%
>    {\penalty\postdisplaypenalty
>     \afterdisplayspace
>     {\forgetall\noindent#1\par}%
>     \penalty\predisplaypenalty
>     \beforedisplayspace}
>
> This works correctly. THe present definition is a sanitized version of
> \intertext defined in amsmath, so the question is why do they use
> \vbox in the definition of \inertext, and is it really needed? That is
> beyond my understanding of TeX.

has to do with still being in math roman and therefore in teh wrong encoding

in cont-new.tex ....

\def\dealwithmathtextencoding
 {\expanded{\everyhbox{\the\everyhbox\noexpand\fastenableencoding{\currentencoding}}}%
   \def\dealwithmathtextencoding{\let\characterencoding\nocharacterencoding}%
   \dealwithmathtextencoding}

\appendtoks
  \dealwithmathtextencoding
\to \everymathematics

much of this mess will go away in luatex btw