[dev-context] garden: filename capitalization

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 23:24:44 CEST 2007

On 4/25/07, Sanjoy Mahajan wrote:
> Patrick,
>
> Can one stop the wiki upload from capitalizing the first letter of
> uploaded filenames?  Case matters on most Unix systems (not sure about
> Mac OS X though), so for example a T-bib.tex won't be as much use as a
> t-bib.tex.

There is

/**
 * Set this to false to avoid forcing the first letter of links to capitals.
 * WARNING: may break links! This makes links COMPLETELY case-sensitive. Links
 * appearing with a capital at the beginning of a sentence will *not* go to the
 * same place as links in the middle of a sentence using a lowercase initial.
 */
$wgCapitalLinks = true;

in includes/DefaultSettings.php

If people agree to change the behaviour ... there is no reason why it
shouldn't be changed.

I don't have any preference because I got used to it (I hated it at
the beginning, but on the other hand I understand that it causes less
confusion, because there is no clear idea what should be capitalised
and what not, at least not in English). The few exceptions where the
first letter matters (like the one you mentioned) are a price to pay
if you decide for "case insensitivity".

Mojca