[dev-context] missing stubs in latest release

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue Aug 14 16:07:15 CEST 2007

Hi Martin!

On Die, 14 Aug 2007, Martin Schröder wrote:
> > consider the licensing not a "non-free", but a "not-licensing" because
> > it violates the rights of urw++... anyway, time will show ...
>
> Has anyone bothered to ask urw++?

I said that I don't want to start this here, but as you asked: urw++
released the fonts under gplv2. I agree that this is not the best (to be
polite) license for fonts, but they did, and that was nice.

but well, the gyre fonts are under the gust font license, which creates the
following problem: are the gyre fonts derived work or not? If yes, they
must be gpl, too.

I know that urw++ will probably NOT go to court for this anyway, but
still there is a problem.

If someone has a good contact to urw++ and could ask them to
relicense/double-license the fonts to gust fl or gpl/gfl, that would be
fantastic ... but who could it be???

The problem is that neither the original authors of the GYre fonts nor
the representatives of the user groups see this problem as a problem ...

Best wishes

Norbert