[dev-context] XeTeX and font-selection problems

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Tue Sep 11 23:36:13 CEST 2007

Hans Hagen wrote:

>>   I guess it's time for the ConTeXt developers to start over that little
>> discussion we had with the XeTeX developer(s) :-)
>
> hm, we use batchmode to catch an non found font so that we can look
> further; i would not expect xetex to quit then

You misunderstand, it is texexec that does the quitting.

I've seen this before, but forgot about it. The problem is that
whenever tex sees an error, it's return value changes from zero
to non-zero. It has been like that since (at least) the emtex days,
with higher return value numbers indicating ever more serious
issues that were encountered.

The immediate problem is that the non-zero return makes texexec
think that xetex has failed completely. That is not true, nor is
it xetex-specific.

We should probably see if we (the tex developers) can reach an
agreement about how to decide if a font exists without raising
an error, but in the mean time it is maybe best to ignore return
values from engines as long as the expected output file is
there (or forget about the nice font trick).

Best wishes,