[dev-context] setting up context/luatex, luatex caches

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Mon Oct 1 07:22:10 CEST 2007

Hi all!

Before uploading context 2007.09.28 I want to straigthen some things out
wrt luatex etc, the least is that I want to add a README so that users
can set up context/luatex themselves.

Now my questions:
- Is it possible to have MORE THAN ONE luatex cache directory? Something
  like
	TEXMFCACHE=/var/lib/texmf/systexmf-cache;$HOME/.texmf-var/texmfcache
  such that
	/v/l/t/systexmf-cache contains the cached trees for the system
		trees (/usr/share/texmf{,-texlive}, ...)
	$HOME/.texmf-var/texmfcache contains the cache of the users
		home directory texmf tree

- Is it possible to tell luatools to update only some (or only one)
  texmf tree? Something like
	luatools --generate /usr/share/texmf-texlive
  ?

- Is there an obvious objection to replace luatex binary with a script
  which contains the necessary TEXMFCNF settings, something like
	if [ -z "$TEXMFCNF" ] ; then
		TEXMFCNF=/usr/share/texmf/web2c
		export TEXMFCNF
	fi
	luatex.bin $*
  ? Reason: First is that we know where the texmf.cnf is and we don't
  have to urge the user to set the env var. Furthermore a user CAN
  override the TEXMFCNF settings if he wants to.

Thanks a lot, and sorry for buggering you with these questions, but I
want to get a decent system for Debian.

Best wishes

Norbert