[dev-context] setting up context/luatex, luatex caches

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Mon Oct 1 07:59:36 CEST 2007

> - Is it possible to have MORE THAN ONE luatex cache directory?

  I'm not sure if this really makes sense, but you may want to know that
luatools looks up a number of environment variables consecutively to
determine the location of the cache: first TEXMFCACHE, then HOME and
other similar variables, then VARTEXMF and similar vars, etc. (see line 3768
of luatools.lua for the complete list).

  I guess this could do the trick: the installation could generate the
formats and put them in $VARTEXMF, and each user could put his own files
in $HOME and override the defaults if the wants to (provided TEXMFCACHE
is not set); but I need to check if this indeed works (not sure).

> - Is there an obvious objection to replace luatex binary with a script
>   which contains the necessary TEXMFCNF settings

  I don't think this would be any problem with the ConTeXt developers,
but you need to account for the fact that LuaTeX may be used with other
formats.  That's what I told you in the other thread: all these settings
are related to LuaTeX but they're really specific to ConTeXt, and if
someone wants to use LaTeX over the LuaTeX engine he may not be happy
that the settings are not exactly the same than for the other engines.

  Of course if you only set TEXMFCNF and nothing else this shouldn't
make any difference.

	Arthur