[dev-context] setting up context/luatex, luatex caches

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Oct 1 10:49:34 CEST 2007

Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
>> - Is it possible to have MORE THAN ONE luatex cache directory?
>
>   I'm not sure if this really makes sense, but you may want to know that
> luatools looks up a number of environment variables consecutively to
> determine the location of the cache: first TEXMFCACHE, then HOME and
> other similar variables, then VARTEXMF and similar vars, etc. (see line 3768
> of luatools.lua for the complete list).
>
>   I guess this could do the trick: the installation could generate the
> formats and put them in $VARTEXMF, and each user could put his own files
> in $HOME and override the defaults if the wants to (provided TEXMFCACHE
> is not set); but I need to check if this indeed works (not sure).
>
>> - Is there an obvious objection to replace luatex binary with a script
>>   which contains the necessary TEXMFCNF settings
>
>   I don't think this would be any problem with the ConTeXt developers,
> but you need to account for the fact that LuaTeX may be used with other
> formats.  That's what I told you in the other thread: all these settings
> are related to LuaTeX but they're really specific to ConTeXt, and if
> someone wants to use LaTeX over the LuaTeX engine he may not be happy
> that the settings are not exactly the same than for the other engines.

when generating things you see something

c:/temp/luatex-cache/context/36cfaf81cc343ab858e892f7ccbb5039/trees/36cfaf81cc343ab858e892f7cc
bb5039.tma

the first hash is tree basesd and permits multiple tex installations
alongside, the filename hashes are derived from the names plus full
paths, also in order to prevent funny subpaths etc; so, indeed we can
run multiple installations in the same cache (on our linux servers i
often run multiple trees along side since project use frozen tex's)