[dev-context] integrating context mkiv, luatex, and fmtutil, mktexlsr, etc

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed Oct 3 13:10:38 CEST 2007

On Mi, 03 Okt 2007, Hans Hagen wrote:
> >  . cache should be read from more then one directory, eg from
> >    TEXMFSYSCACHE and TEXMFCACHE (with usual override stuff)
> >  . single cache updates should be possible:
> >	luatools --generate $HOME/texmf
> >    should generate the cache for $HOME/texmf in $TEXMFCACHE
>
> let's assume that this is only useful for formats and file databases (i
> cannot imagine a sysadm messing around with documents in order to get a
> couple of font tables done)

Definitely. The idea is that the cache is for the files installed by
system software (Debian packages, Windows sysadm installing TeX Live,
etc).

> now, i added an environment variable so that you can control this ...
>
> 	input.usecache = not toboolean(os.getenv("TEXMFSHARECACHE") or
> "false",true)
>
> yes, true, one, 1 are all equal to true so you can try
>
> 	set TEXMFCACHE=true
>
> well, your shell equivalent of that

TEXMFCACHE or TEXMFSHARECACHE?

But I don't see how this will work? I checked the luacode a bit and I
saw that it only loads from ONE cache directory. Could we set
	LUATEXCACHE=/var/lib/sysluacache:$TEXMFVAR/luacache:...
	TEXMFSHARECACHE=yes
?? Or do I misunderstand something?

> beware, for this beta you need a recent luatex because we no longer
> preload patterns but load them at runtime (smaller format, faster start,
> faster run) so we're talking real beta here -)

svn, or is there going to be a release sometimes soon?

Thanks a lot and all the best

Norbert