[dev-context] context program, mtxrun question?

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Mon May 19 09:50:10 CEST 2008

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 9:03 AM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> Norbert Preining wrote:
>>
>> Well not surprising ... there is NO context script anywhere in the
>> distribution!
>>
>> Am I missing something?
>
> The script is:
>
>   scripts/context/lua/mtx-context.lua
>
> If mtxrun cannot find it, something went wrong running
>
>   luatools --generate

It seems to me that this is actually a yet unanswered FAQ:
- the thread about AucTeX on ntg-context
- Oliver asked me about how to run LuaTeX without having to set any
environmental variables except for PATH adjustment; that would make
the mac installer much easier to cope with - in most TeX
distributions, one simply puts texmf.cnf somewhere above the binary
(selfautoparent trickery), and then everything works out of the box
- similar question raised by Vyatcheslav for Windows
- I often have problems in my editor; if I launch it from terminal
with proper environmental variables set, then it works OK, but if I
want to launch it from menu, then it sometimes works and sometimes not
(some weird interference with the existing distribution, in most cases
it just doesn't find the cont-en.fmt and stops there already)

I just wanted to raise the question as it appears in just every
installation of TeX where one wants to use ConTeXt with LuaTeX.

As long as one runs
    source setuptex
in minimals, or
    source ~/.luatex
in Thomas' instructions of hard-coded paths then LuaTeX runs OK, but
if one would like to run LuaTeX without explicitly setting
environmental variables (problematic within TeX editors), one soon
runs into problems.

Minimals contain texmf.cnf hidden somewhere in the tree. But even if I
put in in the top folder, it doesn't help much. Hans also uses
setuptex.tmf for reading settings with LuaTeX in some way, but again,
it doesn't happen automatically.

Jonathan Kew also told me that it should be enough to have a proper
version of texmf.cnf in the top folder, and then setting PATH to
include binaries should be enough. LuaTeX now works on standalone
ConTeXt installation for more than a year, but it would be nice to
make it work on Debian, TeX Live, MikTeX (that will soon provide it)
... as well.

Any ideas if getting rid of dependency on environmental variables is doable?

Mojca

PS: ping hans at miktex