[dev-context] context program, mtxrun question?

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon May 19 10:54:15 CEST 2008

Norbert Preining wrote:

> Arggg... does that mean that anyone wanting to use simply
> 	context
> as a program as to set up all the luatex/context stuff, with independent
> database etc etc?

indeed, mkiv will not use kpse; at some point i want to play with

texmf.zip
texmf-local.zip

technically it's already possible but i need some more time to play with it

> Again, you should definitely implement some level of global setup
> possibility!!!

you mean shared for users?

> Either you want context in distributions, or we forget about that and
> ask people to install context by themselves! It is impossible to setup a
> context installation for MkIV in a decent way on a multi-user system. It
> is simply *impossible* ATM.

well, mkiv is still somewhat experimental ... if a day had more hours ...

> I already suggested several times that there is a *system*wide*
> luatex-cache which can be updated/regenerated everytime a distribution
> package installs new files, very similar to mktexlsr.

i know, and its noted somewhere ...

> Now that is *really* broken on context.

should kind of work for pdftex an xetex (in the past texexec even called
fmtutil on a unix system but when thomas refused to support $engine i
kicked that out)

> Again, if you want to be a system for strictly *single*user* systems,
> please let me know and I will remove context from Debian ...

keep in mind that i hav eno experience with multi user systems (ok, long
ago on vms) ... although on my linux boxes i have a user hagen, i'm
always logged in as root -)

> AHHh, enough of my frustrated flames. Please don't take it personally.
> But I have written again and again about that, and it seems nobody seems
> to care nor to listen.

come on, we do care, but it's a moving train ...