[dev-context] context program, mtxrun question?

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri May 23 09:27:45 CEST 2008

Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 7:27 PM, Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
>>> So, assuming /opt/tex/texmf-linux/bin, it attempts the following
>>> directories, in this order:
>>>
>>>    [/opt/tex/texmf]/web2c                    % two parents up
>>>    [/opt/tex/texmf-linux]/texmf/web2c        % one parent up
>>>    [/opt/tex]/texmf-local/web2c
>>>    [/opt/tex/texmf-linux]/texmf-local/web2c
>
> Mac (gwtex, mactex) also uses texmf.local. (Well, also many others,
> but that one is most evident.)

well, this is the chicken or egg problem .. of course we can go through
two cycles (locate config, load config, filter only texmf from it,
relocate again, maybe more cnf files, reload again, maybe even different
texmf vars, locata another time, load again, ... etc) but for sure
something else shows up then; the problem is that although there is a
kind of standard (tds) there is no such standard for distributions ...
the names of trees keep changing and we deciced to stick to texmf and
texmf-local

(the problem is that it does not get faster either, in theory setuptex
is faster than just setting the path and figuring things out then for
each run ... depends a bit on the system, network or not, etc)

>>  Thats's great!  It works on my machine without the need to set any
>> environment variable (I even tried two different arrangments of the
>> directories).
>
> I have just tested it and it didn't work as expected.

you probably have a non typical system ... this approach assumes a
simple tree setup with the main cnf in texmf or texmf-local ...

> TeXExec | tex engine path: /Users/mojca/context/tex/texmf-context/web2c/xetex
> TeXExec | mps engine path: /Users/mojca/context/tex/texmf-context/web2c

that is something we don't want ... there is another autovar we need to
set (i need to check texmfstart for it); setuptex sets up TEXOS and from
that derives the path for formats; this makes it possible to use one
three with different binaries (even different versions) for multiple
platforms

> (formats have always flied to texmf-osx-intel so far)

welcome to the mess ... kpse/web2c never had a provision for formats,
i.e. the progs that generate the format need to sort out things, and
then the env var (or var in texmf.cnf) have to locate it;

in the worst case you end up with multiple fmt files .. you need to
delete the ones in texmf-context once we get them in texmf-macosx again
depending on the order (ok, setuptex just sets up *one* path, so that's
safe but this is not the case with the cnf file)

> MtxRun | error unable to locate texmfcnf.lua

no problem, you don't have one

> I definitely need to add texmfcnf.lua, but just a quick overview of
> non-working solutions :)

hm, not needed, unless you want to set the cache