[dev-context] Texlive 2008 and luatools

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Wed Jul 16 03:18:45 CEST 2008

Hi,

Texlive 2008 works perfectly with Context, but I have one question
regarding luatools. I am posting this here rather than on TL mailing list,
since I do not want to cause more confusion on TL regarding ConTeXt.

In the bin directory in minimals, luatools is a copy of luatools.lua. This
means that one does not need ruby in order to run luatools. It also means
that whenver you upgrade your system, you need to run luatools
--selfupdate.

In TL2008, luatools is a wrapper script.

#!/bin/sh
texmfstart luatools.lua "$@"

This means that you need to have ruby in order to run luatools. The
advantage is that you do not need to run luatools --selfupdate. In terms
of speed, there is a slight disadvantage, you first start ruby, and then
start texlua. Using a wrapper script was suggested by Taco on the mailing
list.

If TL is to use a wrapper scipt, why not simply

#!/bin/sh
mtxrun --script luatools "$@"

this will mean that you do not start ruby before moving to lua. In both
cases, one has to do mtxrun --selfupdate after a update that changes
mtxrun.

This is not really important, since luatools will be run rarely. Do you
think that the current texmfstart wrapper should be changed to a mtxrun
wrapper?

Aditya