[dev-context] Texlive 2008 and luatools

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Wed Jul 16 03:18:45 CEST 2008

Texlive 2008 works perfectly with Context, but I have one question
regarding luatools. I am posting this here rather than on TL mailing list,
since I do not want to cause more confusion on TL regarding ConTeXt.

In the bin directory in minimals, luatools is a copy of luatools.lua. This
means that one does not need ruby in order to run luatools. It also means
that whenver you upgrade your system, you need to run luatools

In TL2008, luatools is a wrapper script.

texmfstart luatools.lua "$@"

This means that you need to have ruby in order to run luatools. The
advantage is that you do not need to run luatools --selfupdate. In terms
of speed, there is a slight disadvantage, you first start ruby, and then
start texlua. Using a wrapper script was suggested by Taco on the mailing

If TL is to use a wrapper scipt, why not simply

mtxrun --script luatools "$@"

this will mean that you do not start ruby before moving to lua. In both
cases, one has to do mtxrun --selfupdate after a update that changes

This is not really important, since luatools will be run rarely. Do you
think that the current texmfstart wrapper should be changed to a mtxrun