[dev-context] Texlive 2008 and luatools

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Wed Jul 16 09:31:10 CEST 2008

Hi,

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>>
>> In TL2008, luatools is a wrapper script.
>>
>> #!/bin/sh
>> texmfstart luatools.lua "$@"

That is by my suggestion. After all the other manual labor texlive
users will have go through just to get mkiv running, I did not want
to scare them even more by forcing them to use --selfupdate.

Especially since --selfupdate fails in a non-zero amount of cases,
and if that would happen to a user not on ntg-context they would be
utterly lost.

> having a 'copy' or 'symlink' is indeed the best for luatools and mtxrun,
>   and using texmfstart for it is at some point going to fail

This would work fine if --selfupdate was totally reliable, but it isn't.
Whenever a new library appears in the distro there is a chance that
selfupdate will fail. I've had that happen a number of times. It is
ok for me (I know what to do), but not acceptable casual users.

Best wishes,