[dev-context] derived colors (mkiv)

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Sep 25 18:04:10 CEST 2008

Peter Rolf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there is currently no bookkeeping ('name-->id') for derived colors in
> mkiv; i.e. \definecolor[foo] [black] does not register 'foo'.
>
> \csname(ca:foo)\endcsname
>
> is the only way to access the color id. While this in no problem in TeX
> code, using this in lua is not very handy. I tried ugly stuff like
>
> c_id = format("\\csname(ca:%s)\\endcsname",c)

hm, why do you want to use that number? th ecurrent implementation is
not frozen so depending on it at the lua level can be dangerous

> but when I compare 'c_id' with the id of black, the values '1' and 1 (id
> of black) differ when compared. Mhhhh.
>
> I think that the best way to handle derived colors properly is to add
> their name to the attributes list too. It's only a small patch and it
> shouldn't do any harm.

i'm not sure about this yet; also, if something like happens it sould
happen in the clone/inherit functions and not only in this one spot
(there are more places and there's also transparency)

so, what exactly do you need the number for