[dev-context] MetaPost beta 1.110

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Thu Nov 27 15:34:42 CET 2008

Hi all,

Immediately following the release of the stable MetaPost version 1.100,
I can also announce the very first test version of the new development

As some of you know already, in the past month I have been working
on a SVG backend for MetaPost. SVG stands for Scalable Vector Graphics,
a language for describing two-dimensional graphics and graphical
applications in XML. It is a W3C Recommendation, see

for more details.

This new backend was requested by Dave Crossland, who also provided
the funding to make it possible.  Dave, thank you again!

How does it work?

* There is a new internal string variable, "outputformat". Its default
  value is "eps", but when you assign "svg" you will get SVG output.

* You may want to set the internal string variable "outputtemplate" to
  something like "%c%j.svg".

* If you use text labels, you will definately want to set

  With this setting, MetaPost will convert the font into curves
  (of course you also need a correct font map line, just as for
  PostScript output).

  With any other value of prologues you will simply get the SVG
  default text font in a system-dependant encoding. This is unlikely
  to be what you want!

A simple example:

  outputformat := "svg";
  outputtemplate := "%j-%c.svg";
  fill fullcircle scaled 100 withcolor .4red;

Other news

* The new internal string variable "outputtemplate" replaces
  "filenametemplate". The big difference is that "outputtemplate"
  is a true 'internal', so that you need a proper assignment.
  On the positive side, this means that you can use its (and
  "outputformat"s) current value with e.g. show and message.

  I am planning to make it possible for users to create their
  own internal string variables too (cf. newinternal).

* The source code itself is not yet in its final form (and there
  is also no lua binding yet), but the output is more or less
  finalized unless I get requests for changes from you.

* This new backend will not be the only new feature in MP 1.200,
  more new features are planned. One such feature will be direct
  access to the glyph->path conversion from the MetaPost input.

The MetaPost development project is currently hosted at Supelec,

I have uploaded the sources as well as linux-i386 and mingw windows

Have fun,