[dev-context] mptopdf says 'Unable to make mpx file' (using TEX.mp)

Sanjoy Mahajan sanjoy at MIT.EDU
Wed Jan 14 19:47:39 CET 2009

Here is 'minimal.mp':

input TEX
  draw thelabel.top(TEX("90"), origin);

It runs fine through mpost, but running 'mptopdf minimal.mp' instead

  MPtoPDF 1.3.3 : running 'texexec --mptex    minimal.mp'
  TeXExec | processing graphic 'minimal.mp'
  This is MetaPost, Version 0.993 (Web2C 7.5.6)
  (minimal.mp (/usr/share/texmf-texlive/metapost/base/TEX.mp) (mptextmp.mp
  >> mptextmp.mp
  >> mptextmp.mpx
  ! Unable to make mpx file.
  l.1 btex
	   90 etex
  Transcript written on minimal.log.
  TeXExec | runtime: 0.040707

  MPtoPDF 1.3.3 : no filename matches minimal

(After running mpost, the mptopdf command works fine, so delete all
 files except minimal.mp, then run 'mptopdf minimal.mp' to see the

I'm using the Debian unstable texlive/context packages on i386 (using
mkii).  Do others see this problem?  I don't think it's related to the
mpost version or to the Debian packaging.  I just tried a moderately
recent 'minimals' and mpost 1.110, and the problem is the same.