[dev-context] Mac installation package

Oliver Buerschaper oliver.buerschaper at mpq.mpg.de
Wed Aug 12 17:35:53 CEST 2009

Dear all,

I've finally got around to actually make the Mac installation package
happen :-) So please find a test version of the package (for Intel
Macs running Tiger or higher) at

http://svn.contextgarden.net/minimals/installer/osx/

This package is identical to the Minimals distribution as of
2009.06.11 13:24 except for the following:

1. It only contains MkIV
2. Configuration files are adapted to Mac OS X
3. It doesn't contain scripts etc. needed for other platforms

The installation experience should be rather pleasant, since you'll
just have to double-click the installation package. After the
installation is complete head over to "System Preferences > TeX
Distribution" and you should find a new item called "ConTeXt
2009-06-11-beta" alongside "MacTeX 2008" etc. This means that by now
you should be able to typeset your documents with a simple

context myfile.tex

in the Terminal. (TeXShop support is easy and will be included in the
next revision.)

For the more curious: the package installs its TDS to /usr/local/
context/2009-06-11-beta and sets up a per user cache at ~/.context/
2009-06-11-beta. The directory for user additions is ~/Library/texmf
and is shared with TeXLive. Fonts installed at the usual locations in
Mac OS X should be recognized by ConTeXt as well. For the even more
curious, there's also a readme file in the disk image ;-)

I'd be glad if as many people as possible on this list would give it a
try and report back their experience. Once the package turns out to
work as intended I'll make it available to the wider public.

Many thanks in advance to all testers!

Happy TeXing,
Oliver