[dev-context] Cache path creation

Oliver Buerschaper oliver.buerschaper at mpq.mpg.de
Sat Aug 22 14:09:17 CEST 2009

Dear all,

here's a thing that's puzzling me ... I set up the cache path in texmf/
web2c/texmfcnf.lua to point to a location which doesn't exist yet.
Running

luatools --generate

now gives me different results with ConTeXt versions 2009.06.11 and
2009.06.13. The former one politely asks me whether it should generate
the cache path while the latter version does not but moves straight on
to business. Grepping through the source code I'm somehow unable to
find out which part of the source is responsible for this change :-(

Personally, I prefer the second behaviour anyway. This is because I
adjusted texmfcnf.lua deliberately such that the cache data is dumped
to the user's home directory. In particular, luatools --generate
doesn't need admin rights so if for some reason it attempts to write
to protected system areas this will be blocked anyway. So let's say
I'm just curious ...

Oliver