[dev-context] unicode-math

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Feb 11 10:31:48 CET 2010

Hi Philipp

> context in combination with luatex is quite the way to go for me, but i have
> one thing that i would love to see inside context:
> unicode-math<http://github.com/wspr/unicode-math>!
> the guys there are making a good job of mapping tons of unicode sequences to
> latex commands, so we should really profit from this project.

i once took a look at the tables of stix and ams and then decided to
follow another route

- we collect all info in char-def, also math related info
- we want to be able to support field specific setups (similar to what
openmath does) and the machinery is mostly there already
- we don't follow latex although we try to be ams math compatible
- support like that is not that much related to \commands (and mapping
them) as we already support direct mapping etc
- we have a different way of organizing the math symbols and alphabets
in context (mkii is more traditional)

> is it possible to integrate it into context or to create a package for this
> purpose?
> i would love to write $y = x² ± 2µ ⇒ y ≠ √{α ⁄ 5}$, while still being able
> to write $y = x^2 \pm 2\mu \Rightarrow y \neq \frac{α \over 5}$ or any
> combination of the two.

sure, but it's unlikely to happen before there is an lmtypewriter font
that has those shapes so that i can see it on my screen (lm/gyre math)
.. it's simply too painful to debug and we also need to be able to use
such symbols in documentation

there are a few problems:

(1) $y = x² ± 2$ -> we had some discussion about remapping the superiors
and didn't reach a conclusion yet (as it is only a limited set); this is
not going to happen at the input level but will be done by analysing the
math list (just as is done with other things), so here it's mostly a
matter of making a decision

(2) √{α ⁄ 5}$ -> the / (or \over) is somewhat special ... if / is
inline, then it's ok but do we want something for display as well

(3) in the above the root is somewhat special as it is the text root
symbols and if we support that we should also provide escapes to get
that literal one

(4) at microsoft they came up with an input method that makes sense as
well so maybe i will implement that one some day

(5) the { } still do grouping but maybe we want ( ) and some automated
way (as in mathml) to omit them if possible

so, for me math is part of a bigger picture: mathml, alternative input,
not per se sticking to tex conventions etc

> i would too love to participate in a project making this possible, but i
> don’t know how to start coding (i could only write a preprocessor in python
> doing this, but that would be rather a workaround than the true thing.)

the right way is adding missing info to char-def.lua and that happens
under tight control (read stepwise as we need to test things); so, if
you find missing mapping, just collect them and let us know (normally
aditya does the checking of the math symbols)

so there is not so much coding needed but mostly identification (the
same is true for symbols that are someplace in fonts but not yet mapped
in the virtual font mapper) so that's the place to start looking