[dev-context] unicode-math

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Feb 11 13:37:12 CET 2010

On 11-2-2010 12:49, Philipp A. wrote:
> 2010/2/11 Hans Hagen<pragma at wxs.nl>
>
>> On 11-2-2010 12:12, Philipp A. wrote:
>>
>>> i’m quite excited to find out that most of what i want is already in mkiv!
>>> regarding the problems you mentioned:
>>>
>>> 1. the super/subscripts could be interpreted like x²³₄₅ → x^{23}_{45} or
>>> couldn’t they? if you want to do more complex stuff (more than one level of
>>> super/subscripting), the super/subscripts are only for the last level:
>>> x^{2³}_{4₅} → x^{2^3}_{4_5}
>>

>> i can look into it ... but it's up to you to provide some test files first
>> so that we can determine to what extend we go
>>

> if you want me to provide test files, shall i simply think of complicated
> cases and put them togeter between \starttext and \stoptext in a tex(t)file?

indeed, and name them umath-001.tex etc

> i have no idea how to do the grouping. openoffice avoids the stuff mostly,
> but i can’t wrap my mind about the rules. when writing stuff with openoffice
> (i seldomly do it), i just avoid braces and fix all display errors
> afterwards.

the problem is always "if i put my cursor here, and insert something
where am i" (just before or just after entering some mode)

we should only implement robust cases

>> indeed, but introducing more commands like \√ might not be the way to go as
>> we try to get rid of&  etc being special (i've even be thinking os some
>> special unicode char, maybe a private pair, for $ $ replacement
>>

> ok, that’s an interesting direction to go. i didn’t try context too hard,
> because i write exams in a week and shouldn’t be writing this but rather
> learning biochemistry ;)

well ... in that case ... imagine that you have to typeset Stryer -)

> what do you mean with “no one cares?” no one cares about context or about
> stix or about context testing stix?

in general ... no beta fonts send out to texies who are operating in
this fiels, no involvement of the gyre math folks, etc

ok, supporting it is rather trivial i expect especially as they have to
follow cambria

> it’s sad that the inferior approach gained the lead, but we don’t lose our
> advantage: we don’t have to make compromises in the layout beause noone
> expects a document updating in real time when a word is inserted in the
> first paragraph. we are the ones with the fine-grained control over every
> aspect of our typesetting and so we won’t be obsoleted by word.

sure, and with tex we have full control over all aspects (and i
definitely don't want context to stick to the frozen tex ways of doing
math)

> microsoft doesn’t like open source, but everyone owning windows can use
> cambria math and since the microsoft document above shows no patented stuff,
> we can use that, too, if we like it.

indeed ... for luatex (and the gyre math project) cambria is the benchmark