[dev-context] OpenType Optical Bounds 'opbd' feature

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Thu Feb 25 13:51:47 CET 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 07:24:08PM +0100, Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 24-2-2010 17:31, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> >On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 08:57:23PM +0200, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> >>If a real test suite is needed, I can prepare a special copy of one of
> >>TeX Gyre fonts for this purpose.
> >
> >I went ahead and patched texgyre pagella to implement lfbd/rtbd features
> >(based on palatino protrusion values from microtype package), attached
> >the font file and the "dirty" python script used to build it.
> to get full protrusion i need to multiply by two so i think that it
> makes most sense to use full protrusion for punctuation and hyphens
> and if less is wanted use a factor of 0.5

But most of the time full protrusion isn't needed, right? I think full
protrusion (assuming this is hanging punctuation) can be done in a
generic way; protruding the glyph so that all of its bounding box is in
the margin, and using font stored protrusion values for regular setting.

 Khaled Hosny
 Free font developer