[dev-context] Checksum of original font files stored in the cache?

Oliver Buerschaper oliver.buerschaper at mpq.mpg.de
Thu Jun 17 23:54:36 CEST 2010

Dear wise guys,

the other day I found myself caught in a trap that might be a frequent source of puzzlement for the casual ConTeXt user :-)

I had replaced an OpenType font in the usual OS directory by a new version. Typesetting documents using that font produced surprising results... the PDF files were merrily messed up. I reckon I didn't pay attention to the interplay between font files and the LuaTeX cache... apparently ConTeXt was using the outdated font cache data together with the new font file since a few days later the problem was resolved once I had to regenerate the cache for other reasons. Only then did I notice I had also cured this font problem.

Do you think it would be a good idea to store a checksum of the actual font file used while generating the cache?

Best,
Oliver