[dev-context] context commands in lua-files

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sun Jul 18 08:25:46 CEST 2010

On 07/17/2010 11:09 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> - The following:
>      settings = {
>          inherit = "useexternalfigure",
>          -- n = 3 not needed, since one command has only one settings-option
>      },
> is a bit weird to me. Why not putting the "inherit" already under
> arguments above? And yes, you probably do need to tell from which
> argument of \useexternalfigure you want to inherit the settings.

I also think inline is better, even though it adds redundancy.

The 'n' is probably not needed in practice even though conceptually
Mojca is right.

> - If all the three arguments are optional, it's a bit difficult to
> tell what combination of arguments is allowed, so it might make sense
> to be a bit more verbose in that (to tell somehow that for example
> only 123 and 23 and 3 is allowed, but not 13 for example), but this is
> not too important.

One way around that (and the 'n' issue) is to do something like this:

     arguments = {
             ["label_arg"] = {
                 type = label,
             },
             ["filename_arg"] = {
                 type = file,
             },
             ["settings_arg"] = {
                 type = settings,
                 comment = "short comment for this option",
                 description = "long description for this option",
                 inherit = { "useexternalfigure", 'settings_arg' }

             },
             ["parent_arg"] = {
                 type = parent,
                 comment = "short comment for this option",
                 description = "long description for this option"
             },
         },
       variants = {  -- just an example
           { "filename_arg" },
           { "label_arg", "filename_arg" },
           { "label_arg", "filename_arg", "settings_arg" },
           { "filename_arg", "parent_arg" },

         }
     },

but I am not sure this is really better ?

Best wishes,