[dev-context] MetaPost 1.501 (alpha version)

Nicola nvitacolonna at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 11:34:16 CEST 2010

In article <4C4D48C3.50803 at elvenkind.com>,
 Taco Hoekwater <taco at elvenkind.com> wrote:

> Hi Nicola,
>
> Thanks a lot for trying stuff!
>
> On 07/26/2010 09:48 AM, Nicola wrote:
> >
> > I get errors when trying to use a mem file different from plain.

> > And trying to typeset a MetaFont file with
> >
> > mpost -mem=mfplain test.mf
> >
> > produces the following error:
> >
> > [snip]
>
> This is not really a bug, more an incompatibility. In the new
> system, 'mem' files have to stop with 'dump', but the current
> mfplain.mp in the distrution doesn't do that yet (a similar problem
> is with plain.mp, but that is why we have mpost.mp).
>
> If you add a 'dump;' at the end of mfplain.mp, this problem
> will go away.

Confirmed, that fixes the problem.

One more problem I have with %& directives, as in this example:

verbatimtex
%&latex
\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
etex

beginfig(1);
label(btex x etex,cm*(1,1));
endfig;

verbatimtex
\end{document}
\end
etex

end.

It seems that '-tex latex' is mandatory in this case (%&latex is
ignored). Is it by design? If so, I would like to point out that it may
break code like the following:

input TEX;

TEXPRE("%&cont-en" & char(10) & "\starttext\setupbodyfont[8pt]");
TEXPOST("\stoptext");

verbatimtex
   %&latex
   \documentclass{minimal}
   \begin{document}
etex

beginfig(1);
   label(TEX("\type{This is} \ConTeXt"), (1cm,5mm));
   draw btex \emph{And this is \LaTeX} etex;
endfig;

end.

I know that this is borderline, but it compiles with mpost 1.2xx.

Nicola