No subject

Mon Sep 6 21:19:52 CEST 2010

Hans,

here's a challenging question from the XeTeX mailing list. Somebody
gave a challenge of how one writes units or rather: if it is possible
to get rid of latin keyboard entirely, for example if one is able to
retype \includegraphics[width=3D10cm,scale=3D5]{...} in arabic/possibly
greek interface without using the latin keyboard)?

In either case I think that one should convince the author to take
ConTeXt instead of LaTeX to rewrite the commands ...

Mojca

2010/10/12 Alexandros Gotsis <gotsis at science.tuc.gr> wrote:
> Dear friends,
>
> I am trying to "greekify" XeLaTex in order to make it easier for greek wr=
iters to use. I have translated almost all the commands (e.g., instead of \=
begin{document} I can use \=CE=B1=CF=81=CF=87=CE=AE{=CE=BA=CE=B5=CE=B9=CE=
=BC=CE=AD=CE=BD=CE=BF=CF=85}, etc.) that I could think of and made new arti=
cle, book etc. classes with the greek commands. These new classes just rene=
w the commands etc. and they work rather well. There are a few errors still=
 that I try to figure out, but there are also a couple of things that I do =
not know how to do and, therefore, ask your advise/help.

> 1. I could replace almost all commands of (Xe)LaTeX, but I can do nothing=
 with the very first one: \documentclass{}! Is there a way to change the na=
me of this command so that the XeLaTeX engine still understands it? I am lo=
oking for solutions that will not include any extra (latin) text in the sou=
rce file, as this would defy the purpose.

> 2. While I have changed the names for "Chapter", "Figure", the dates, the=
 numbers, capitalisation etc. (thanks for all this go to the work of Syropo=
ylos in Xanthi), I do not know how to change things as, e.g., [c] (center) =
to [=CE=BA] (=CE=BA=CE=AD=CE=BD=CF=84=CF=81=CE=BF), the length units (from =
mm =CF=84=CE=BF =CF=87 etc.). For the time being I would not change anythin=
g in the math environments.

> 3. I do not know how to change the alphabetical order in "makeindex". Usu=
ally the accented vowels follow the corresponding unaccented ones in a gree=
k index,. This is not the case for "makeindex", as it follows the unicode l=
isting. which is defined differently, and the result looks wrong in a greek=
 index list (=CE=B5=CF=85=CF=81=CE=B5=CF=84=CE=AE=CF=81=CE=B9=CE=BF).

> The idea behind the changes is that a writer of greek text (or arab, chin=
ese etc.) should not be obliged to change his/her computer keyboard to lati=
n for the commands and back again for the text. Also the names of the comma=
nds would be more transparent for non-english speakers.

followed by:

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 13:54, Ulrike Fischer wrote:

> Well I don't know much about ConTeXt, but at first ConTeXt is a
> rather monolitic and selfcontained format. It doesn't have to handle
> lots of packages. Also I have some doubts that this localised
> formats translates really everything down to units like mm or
> numbers to other scripts. Or is their an completly arabic
> counterpart to \includegraphics[width=3D10cm,scale=3D5]{...}?

Mojca